Monday, March 4, 2024

Review: Borrow My Heart ~ Kasie West

 

Click on this image to learn more about this book on Goodreads
 
 
Format I Used: Combination Audiobook/Ebook
Pages: 320
Running Time: 7h:35m
My Rating: 4 stars
Publication Date: June 13, 2023


Spoilers at the end under my Did It Make You Cry? so be careful if you read to the end!!!!!

*Nothing bad happens to any of the dogs, let me just get that out of the way first. Because that's a pretty big trigger for me.

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Which, in hindsight, shouldn't really come as a shock... because I generally like Kasie West books.

I thought this was a fun and quick summer read. I really enjoyed Bean, he was the real MVP. It deals with some serious problems--Social media and the negative effects it can have on you, and complicated family relationships.

The plot twist break-up scene (that inevitably is going to happen, so don't tell me this is a spoiler) was NOT what I thought it was going to be. Which is fantastic. I also thought the conversation that Wren and Kamala had with two other random people was referencing something totally different as well.

I thought Asher was adorable. He wasn't perfect and made some mistakes, but I still liked him.

Did It Make Me Cry? Yes, several times actually. 

1. When Wren's sister gets drunk and tries to blame Wren for their mom just up and disappearing during their visit.

2. When Wren ended up going home early, and her dad was kind of being mean and said he was disappointed in her for not sticking it out.

3. When she figured out that Asher had been in on posting those catfish videos, and she confronted him about it.

4. When she didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Bean

5. When the people who adopted Bean came over to surprise visit Wren

It's been a LONG time since a YA contemporary novel has made me feel such big emotions, and that's actually a plus in my book. 

Favorite notes and highlights:

“I’m sorry that more than your brain actually likes a boy. It’s not a fun feeling to let your heart out of its cage, is it?” I took another bite of the cookie. “It sucks. And it’s only out for loan.” “Your heart?” “Yes, I’m just letting him borrow it for a while. It’s a trial run.”

“On a level of one to ten, how ragey are you feeling right now?” Kamala said the next day as I sat in the corner of the coffee shop reading a book titled Bird-Watching Your Way to Happiness. “Nine,” I said. “Nine? That high?” “Well, I was a ten, but I’ve been reading about warblers and that took me down a point.”

Rule: Dogs > People.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home