Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Review: The Stars Never Rise by Rachel Vincent




My Rating: 5 Stars
Date Read: June 2015

Publication Date: June 9th 2015

Hardcover, 368 pages
Summary From Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Nina Kane should be worrying about her immortal soul, but she's too busy trying to actually survive. Her town's population has been decimated by soul-consuming demons, and souls are in short supply. Watching over her younger sister, Mellie, and scraping together food and money are all that matters. The two of them are a family. They gave up on their deadbeat mom a long time ago.

When Nina discovers that Mellie is keeping a secret that threatens their very existence, she'll do anything to protect her. Because in New Temperance, sins are prosecuted as crimes by the brutal Church and its army of black-robed exorcists. And Mellie's sin has put her in serious trouble.

To keep them both alive, Nina will need to trust Finn, a fugitive with deep green eyes who has already saved her life once and who might just be an exorcist. But what kind of exorcist wears a hoodie?

Wanted by the Church and hunted by dark forces, Nina knows she can't survive on her own. She needs Finn and his group of rogue friends just as much as they need her.



My thoughts before I read the book:

From Reapers to Exorcists? This is gonna be good


My thoughts after I read the book:

Okay, no one inspires me to write a book review like Rachel Vincent does. I mean, seriously, how long has it been? Too. Freaking. Long.


I loooooooved Rachel Vincent’s Soul Screamers Series {Mostly because of the Super Awesome Swoon-Worthy Reaper whose name is Tod but, you know, whatever} and when I found out that she was writing a new YA series, I may or may not have fangirled pretty hard  Oh who am I trying to kid, I flipped out. I was FREAKING out, I was so excited. Then when the cover was revealed, I fell in love with it a little more. Because, well, LOOK AT IT. {I'm a cover snob, what can I say?}

I’ll admit, I was a little hesitant when I actually started to read the book, and found out Mellie’s “secret” was the fact that she was pregnant. I was just like “really?” books about teenage pregnancy just aren’t my cup of tea. I understand that some of you may disagree with me, and that’s absolutely fine.

But there was so much other stuff going on, I wasn’t focused so much on it. Except when I was trying to speculate what may or may not happen in the rest of the books, but I'm just not going to talk about that right now, otherwise I'll get myself worked up...again.

I really reaaaaaaaallly liked Finn’s character {maybe not as much as I liked Tod… what? Don’t look at me like that... I'm not obsessed!} I have to say that I totally shared Nina’s opinion when she first found out what Finn could do. I thought “No, surely he’s lying to her…” and that’s all I’m going to say about that for fear of spoilers. Sorry I doubted you Finn!!!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the story, even though it had its slow parts. It kind of reminded me of a mix between Soul Screamers, and Stephenie Meyer’s The Host, which is a good thing, for me at least, because I ADORED those books.

I can’t wait to see what happens to Nina and the rest of Anathema in the books to come. I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that I know what is going to happen. It’s going to involve someone sacrificing themself and I hope, I reeeally really hope that I am wrong. Because if I’m right, it’s going to kill me.

Or, you know, the fact that the publication date on Goodreads just says a vague “June 2016” might kill me first… wish me luck as I try to wait patiently for the next book… I’m going to need it. {PSSST, the title is The Flame Never Dies!!!! *SQUEEE*}

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home