Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Review: The Year We Fell Apart by Emily Martin

The Year We Fell Apart

The Year We Fell Apart
By Emily Martin
My Rating: 3 Stars
Date Read: April 2016
Publication Date: January 26th 2016
Hardcover, 320 pages


Summary From Goodreads:

Few things come as naturally to Harper as epic mistakes. In the past year she was kicked off the swim team, earned a reputation as Carson High’s easiest hook-up, and officially became the black sheep of her family. But her worst mistake was destroying her relationship with her best friend, Declan.

Now, after two semesters of silence, Declan is home from boarding school for the summer. Everything about him is different—he’s taller, stronger…more handsome. Harper has changed, too, especially in the wake of her mom’s cancer diagnosis.

While Declan wants nothing to do with Harper, he’s still Declan, her Declan, and the only person she wants to talk to about what’s really going on. But he’s also the one person she’s lost the right to seek comfort from.

As their mutual friends and shared histories draw them together again, Harper and Declan must decide which parts of their past are still salvageable, and which parts they’ll have to let go of once and for all.
 

My Review:

Oh boy. This book was full of drama. It was a good book, and it had the opportunity to be a great book, but it kind of fell short of that for me at least. I think it was because there was so much drama in it. So first I am going to start with what I didn't like.

Harper kind of frustrated me. She handled things so poorly. I mean, yes, we all make mistakes don't get me wrong. But Harper made the same mistakes over and over and over again. And it was over pretty dumb things too. Like when she got upset that Declan couldn't make it to a party and blew things way out of proportion  going oh boo hoo hoo poor me, he must not like me! Then she went and got completely wasted and started making out with someone else.

I loved Declan. He was so patient and forgiving where Harper was concerned. He had things of his own going on, but he seemed to handle them way better than Harper did.

Cory was also really awesome. He was always there to come to Harper's rescue. No matter when she called, he would go and get her. Harper was just really lucky in the friend area in general. They put up with a lot of crap from her and they were always willing to defend her.

One thing that was kind of left up in the air was how things with Harper's mom went. Did she die? Did she survive? Did they actually say what happened to her and I just read over it? I guess we get to make our own assumptions as far as that goes, and that's okay too I guess.

That's just my opinion though. I'm interested to see what you thought if you've read it! Let me know down in the comments!


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home