Thursday, January 25, 2018

Review: Demons at Deadnight by A & E Kirk

Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #1) Demons at Deadnight
By A & E Kirk
My Rating: 5 Stars
Publication Date: January 7, 2012

Date Read: January 2018
Kindle Edition, 404 Pages





















 Summary From Goodreads

For seventeen-year-old Aurora Lahey, survival is a lifestyle.

DEMONIC DESTINY
Aurora has the crappiest superpower on the planet. And it’s just unleashed a hit squad from hell. Demons are on the hunt, salivating to carve her carcass into confetti. ´

CHARISMATIC KILLERS
The Hex Boys—mysterious, hunky, and notorious for their trails of destruction—have the answers Aurora needs to survive. But their overload of deadly secrets and suspicious motives makes trusting them a potentially fatal move.

LETHAL ALLIES
The battle to save her family, herself, and stop demonic domination may cost Aurora everything worth living for, and force her to reveal her own dark secrets. But no worries. She needs the Hex Boys to pull this off, and, chances are, teaming up with these guys will get her killed anyway



My Review:

So this was actually the first book that I read in 2018 I've just been terribly terrible at getting around to writing a review for it. And honestly? It has set the bar pretty dang high for the rest of the books that I read this year, and has made me ask questions like:

Why is this such an unappreciated book? (much like Red Winter by Marie Annette)

How can I get this book more love that it so rightly deserves?

Why haven't I heard of this series before? (It's been out for 6 years and I'm just now reading it. SIX. YEARS.)

Why does Matty have such an extreme dislike for Aurora??!?  

I very very very much enjoyed reading this book. It had everything I liked; paranormal factors, action, romance, a clumsy kick butt heroine who could take care of herself and will do anything for her friends/family but also trips over nothing, so there's that... More than one super swoony male character. I wouldn't call it a love... whatever shape all those people make because she only shows "real" interest to one of the guys, a super awesome cat named Van Helsing, quirky guardians, character building, story building,  and and and... lots of other things. Like how there was something LOL-worthy on almost every page. There were a lot of twists and turns, betrayals, revelations, etc...

I loved Aurora and how relatable she was, she was funny and said some things that made me want to cover my face. I love how amazing her family is. There's so much love and support going on there, and it just makes me smile.

I adore the boys. Have I said that yet? They are amazing. They're all so protective of Aurora, and they're also so dang funny it hurts. Not to mention how beautiful they are, and how well they work together.Yes, I even like Matthias, even though he can be a douche canoe.

It definitely wasn't perfect. There were some plot holes, and parts of it seemed like it jumped around without explanation, and I thought that I had missed something so I went back and re-read it to try and figure it out, but no, that's just how it was written.

But obviously that didn't take away anything from it. Because I still loved this book to bits and pieces. It was just like, I don't know, it hit me in all the feels, and  just made me so happy while I was reading it. I am trying not to spoil anything, especially since I have finished all the available books in the series, and I don't want to accidentally talk about something that comes later on. But oh my gosh, it gets better and better with each book.

I can't wait to see how Aurora's powers develop, and what other hijinks she gets herself into.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home