Thursday, May 23, 2019

ARC Review Crown of Coral and Pearl by Mara Rutherford

Crown of Coral and Pearl 




                    Crown of Coral and Pearl
By Mara Rutherford
My Rating: 4 Stars
Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Expected publication: August 27th 2019


















Summary From Goodreads:

For generations, the princes of Ilara have married the most beautiful maidens from the ocean village of Varenia. But though every girl longs to be chosen as the next princess, the cost of becoming royalty is higher than any of them could ever imagine…

Nor once dreamed of seeing the wondrous wealth and beauty of Ilara, the kingdom that’s ruled her village for as long as anyone can remember. But when a childhood accident left her with a permanent scar, it became clear that her identical twin sister, Zadie, would likely be chosen to marry the Crown Prince—while Nor remained behind, unable to ever set foot on land.

Then Zadie is gravely injured, and Nor is sent to Ilara in her place. To Nor’s dismay, her future husband, Prince Ceren, is as forbidding and cold as his home—a castle carved into a mountain and devoid of sunlight. And as she grows closer to Ceren’s brother, the charming Prince Talin, Nor uncovers startling truths about a failing royal bloodline, a murdered queen… and a plot to destroy the home she was once so eager to leave.

In order to save her people, Nor must learn to negotiate the treacherous protocols of a court where lies reign and obsession rules. But discovering her own formidable strength may be the one move that costs her everything: the crown, Varenia and Zadie.


My Review: 
Possible mini spoilers, so read with caution

 I was a little hesitant when I first started reading this book. Because it starts out pretty slow. There's a lot of setting up and back story that happens.

But a few chapters in, all the action and intrigue really start to pick up. I adored the world building that happened in this story and how descriptive each place was. I really felt like I was out at sea, and then in the mountain/castle

I enjoyed the concept of the story. I haven't read a lot of books that are set at sea (to begin with, at least)

 I loved the relationship that Zadie and Nor had. And the relationship that they both had with Sami.

Honestly, I thought Zadie was a little selfish at first. I felt like she only thought about herself and what she would be losing. And then to ask her sister to help her do something so.. terrible! But she did eventually apologize, and it did seem that she grew up a little at the end.

Nor was great. I love how she was able to handle herself even though she was basically a fish out of water (lol) She was pretty scared about things, but she was still able to defend herself and hold her own when she had no idea what she was doing.

 Talin. Oh Talin, my sweet Little Bean. He was the most amazing part of the story, and I only wish that he had been a more prominent piece. I kind of had my suspicions about who he was, and I was right. He loved his brother, but at the same time, he hated what Ceren was doing and he didn't support it.

I also liked the fact that, even though Nor and Talin were enamored with each other, it didn't turn Nor into a brainless jellybean. She was able to think for herself, and not be so obsessed with Talin that she was thinking of him 24-7-365.

I couldn't stand the twins' mother. She was absolutely horrid! But their father was great, and he tried to do right by them.

I couldn't decide what I thought of Ceren for a long time. At times he was absolutely horrible, but then he had moments that he was kind of decent. I finally decided that I felt sorry for him. He was so messed up in the head, and he didn't stop to take the time to realize that he had people who would care about him and help him, if only he would pull his head out of his... um..well, you know.

I know the author said this book sold as a standalone, but she also said it has an option for a sequel, and I really hope that sequel happens, because there was so much left undone at the end of this book.

Is Sami okay? He's stranded out in the middle of nowhere! Do they ever find him?

What happens with the Twins and their family?

What about my Little Bean, Talin? Do he and Nor ever get to see each other again? Do they get their HEA?? I need them to get their HEA!

And what about Ceren? I'm still not convinced he's 100% dead. *Squints suspiciously*

And what does Queen Talia do once she's back on the throne? How does that go for her?

All in all, I really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait for it to be available to purchase.

*Thank You to the publisher for allowing me to read an ARC through Net Galley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home