Friday, May 13, 2022

Review: Part Of Your World ~ Abby Jimenez

Click on this image to learn more about this book on Goodreads
 
 
Format I Used: Combination Audiobook
Pages: 401
Running Time: 10h:5m
My Rating: 4 stars
Publication Date: April 19, 2022

 

So first off, let me just tell you right now that the major TW/CW that hit me right in feels are:

Mental/emotional/physical abuse

Gaslighting

Also, I'm real mad because I had a whole review written and then something happened and it just.. POOF! Disappeared. SO now I have to rewrite it and it's not going to be as good because it's been a few hours and my big emotions have kind of cooled off. So now it will make half the sense because I'm literally just rambling.

Spoilers ahead 

I shouldn't be surprised that this yanked at several strong emotions inside me, because that's what Abby Jimenez does. She writes books that kick you in the feels. So as long as you're not going into this book expecting a fluffy rainbows and sunshine book, you'll be fine.

I almost threw this book several times, and I debated on marking it as DNF, because the AUDACITY that Neil and her father had... not to mention whatshisname from Wakan who was also the worst. I didn't though... obviously. And I'm glad, because I got to see Alexis figure out her life and learn how to do things to help herself.

I was so glad that she didn't bend under the pressure of her family and "friends" who kept trying to sway her to go back to her mentally abusive and gaslighting ex, even when she told them that he was not a nice person. I was angry at those people who didn't believe her or laughed it off. That's exactly why people get stuck in bad situations, because when they want to talk about it, they get laughed at or people say "what, that doesn't sound like *insert name of abuser* lol you must be making it up" and if they're just being emotionally/mentally abusive or gaslighting you, there's not any physical proof about what's going on. So you just don't talk about it. Trust me. I know.

At first I was a little annoyed at Alexis, because she was treating Daniel like some dirty little secret even though he was nothing but kind to her. However, she did tell him up front that she wasn't looking for anything serious, and she repeated that multiple times. And, after I thought about it for a bit, I realized that she was protecting him from her family the best she could, given the circumstances she was in. I'm glad she had Daniel, and that he was able to teach her how to do the things that she didn't know, and help her get herself in a better position.

I'm also glad that Neil got into therapy and was figuring out all the ways he messed up. I still don't care for him, but he's taking a step in the right direction. I'm also glad that he didn't go and act like a horrible person when Daniel showed up at the hospital out of the blue. I hope that he's way way better for the next person he ends up with.

Also, if you ever tell me someone is being abusive or gaslighting you, I will believe you. Simple as that. I will do what I can to help.



Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home