Monday, March 11, 2024

Review: Defend The Dawn ~ Brigid Kemmerer

 book with a castle and flowers on it

 Click on this image to learn more about this book on Goodreads

Format I Used: Ebook
Pages: 496
Running Time: 13h:9m
My Rating: 4 Stars
Publication Date: September 20, 2022

 

Funny that I left this as a draft instead of publishing it. Because now I have a review for book 2 AND book 3 coming out so super close together.

Spoilers ahead, read on with caution.

Immediately after finishing the book:

*deeeeeep breath in*

NOW LISTEN HERE

 

Thoughts after I've taken the time to digest everything that's happened:

NOW LISTEN HERE!!!!

lol, but really

My darling Quint is still the star of the show, and I swear that if something bad happens to him in the next book I will R I O T.

I wasn't fully invested in the story until a good chunk of the book was already finished. There was a lot of building up to something. And that something still hasn't really happened yet. (which makes sense, because there's still at least one more book left.) I was so confused by Tessa's sudden reaction to Corrick and her constant obsessing over how he's done bad things to people. YES TESSA WE ALREADY KNEW THAT. It's not new, it's not unexpected. Why now? (I know why, she kept having people whispering in her ear about how bad he was blah blah blah.) But again, SHE KNEW ALL OF THESE THINGS ABOUT HIM BEFORE. He didn't just randomly become a bad guy.

Ugh, anyways.

I'm curious to see whether we get more character development from Corrick and Tessa (I mean, we pretty much have to with Corrick and Lochlan getting washed away to sea and ending up ON THE ENEMY'S BOAT. AND NOW CORRICK IS PRETENDING TO be someone that he's not.)

Did It Make Me Cry?

Honestly? It's been so long since I read it, I don't remember.

Favorite Notes & Highlights:

I look at Quint. “We’re going to leap out. Be ready to run.” He glances at my injured leg. “Can you run?” No. Even leaping is going to be a challenge. But I don’t say that. “Just be ready.” “I’m not leaving our injured king—” “I’m ordering you.” The carriage slows further, but his eyes don’t leave mine. “Then I suppose you’ll have to have Corrick issue a decree of punishment, Your Majesty.” “Quint!” The carriage stops. He tightens his grip on the dagger and finally drags his eyes away from mine, but he doesn’t move. Lord. I grit my teeth. The door is flung open, and sunlight floods the gap, but I can’t see much more than that because Quint launches himself forward. (Excuse me while I go cry about this again.

 

“I have always loved you,” he says. “I love your brilliance and your courage. I love your faith in me, and your faith in my brother, and your faith in Kandala.” His hand slides to my cheek, and his blue eyes soften, filling my vision. “I don’t ever want to frighten you. I want to take actions that will make you proud.”

 

 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home