Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Review: Castles In Their Bones ~ Laura Sebastian


  

 Image from Goodreads. Click on cover to read more about the book.

 

Format I Used: Audiobook
Pages: 528
Running Time: 14h:11m
My Rating: 5 stars worth of stardust
Publication Date: February 1, 2022

 

*Deeeeeep breath in*

It's okay. I'm fine. It's fine. EVERYTHING IS F I N E.

Ahem. With that being said. 

!!SPOILERS AHEAD READ ON WITH CAUTION!!

The Short And Sweet Of It:
It was a little slow going at first, but definitely picks up speed. I loved so many of the characters, but I also hated a bunch too. 10 out of 10 give this a read if you're looking for something with lots of betrayal, twists, and turns. A little bit of romance, friendship, and plenty of magical stardust makes for a book that is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat the whole way through. 

The Long Ranting One:
I was unsure of this book for a long while. I started listening to it when the Snowpocaplyse 2022 was under way and I was shoveling my driveway for what would be the first of many times... I don't do too well with multiple POVs especially if they're not from people with drastically different "voices" (yes, each sister has a different personality, but to me, it took a minute to differentiate.) I would have liked it better if there had been a narrator for each sister. So I did struggle with that.

And I struggled with thinking that it was just going to be deception deception deception, even though the kingdoms and princes that they were set to deceive didn't deserve any of what was going to happen. But there was actually a LOT of character growth in this story, and it delighted me. And once things started progressing at a slightly faster pace, it managed to suck me in and keep my attention.

There was SO many twists and turns and surprises that made me gasp for air. I'm trying to think of another book to compare it to, but the title has decided to make itself scarce.

The other thing I loved about this book was that there was no big blow up/misunderstanding between the girls and their princes (note how I didn't say love interest, because welllllllllllll) Daphne never actually TOLD Bairre who she was and what her real objective was, but maybe she didn't need to, because, you know, his mom and everything.

Daphne
I didn't much care for Daphne (maybe because as a middle child myself I expected her to fall into that same middle child category and care for her sisters and not just brush them off and scold them the way that she did... I didn't imagine her saying she was the middle did I? She seems more the oldest to me,) she had her change of heart far too late to be of any help (or maybe not? I don't know. Mommy Dearest seemed to be several steps ahead and around the corner at any given moment. Even when the girls thought they did something unexpected)

Bairre
I wanted to know more about Bairre. There wasn't too much time spent getting to know much about him, and then in the last little bit you find out he's been working with The Resistance? Please tell me more.

Beatriz
I liked getting to know more about Beatriz and watch her story arc progress. For some reason to me, she felt like the middle child to me. She listened to her sister when she was asked for help, and pretty much went on to help her without thinking too hard on it.

Pasquale
I loved his character, and how sweet and understanding he was. But also how resolved he was to do the right thing, even if that landed him in a lot of hot water. He listened to Beatriz when she told him about her sister and what they needed to do to try and stop the impending war. He listened to Beatriz reveal her truth and then DIDN'T blow up in her face about it. I think that Pasquale and Beatriz are honestly true soulmates in the most platonic way ever, and I adore their friendship.

“No matter what happens, Triz, I’ll do whatever I can to protect you.” Beatriz holds his gaze and smiles, a small, tight-lipped smile. “And I’ll protect you,” she tells him. “No matter what.”

She expects him to be angry, to feel betrayed, to hate her for it, but instead he looks at her with tired eyes. “We’re all our parents’ puppets, Beatriz,” he says. “You aren’t angry?” she asks him, blinking. He’s quiet for a moment. “Not at you,” he says finally. “I’d be a hypocrite, wouldn’t I? To berate you for not going against your mother, when I’ve never once gone against my father.”


Sophie
Oh my gosh. SOPHIE. She was my favorite. She was the most softhearted of the three and that was a good thing and a bad thing. I liked seeing her learn more about her strengths and how to trust her gut and learn that maybe Mommy Dearest doesn't have the best intentions.

Leopold
I was completely unsure of him for a long time. I felt rather MEH about him in general. But the more I learned about him. But the more I got to see that he wasn't a cold hearted person--just a very naive and clueless one--and that he actually cared and tried his hardest once he saw the error of his ways.

“I tried so hard to keep my heart closed to you. In the beginning, you even made it easy,” she says. “There were so many lies, Leo. I know that, and I am so sorry for them. But when it came down to it, I chose Temarin. I chose you. I love you. That’s the truth.”

Nico 
Hmmmm, this boy... I am going to withhold my opinion of him at least until the second book comes out.
 
Margeaux
While I appreciate a Girl Boss, I cannot stand how she uses her daughters like they are nothing but disposable tools...And who are not really hers? but wishes come to life? and the revelation that we're given at the very end. Woooo Boy. 


Okay, now that we're at the end, I can scream again, because HOW DARE I BE CAUSED SO MUCH EMOTIONAL DAMAGE BY THE ENDING OF THE BOOK...  But also, I've watched too much Supernatural to believe that a character is actually going to stay dead.

LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, I'M TOO BUSY MANIFESTING THIS CHARACTER BACK TO LIFE.

 

Did It Make Me Cry?  Surprisingly, no.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home