Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Review: Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally

My Rating: 5 Stars
Date Read: July 2015



Publication Date:  July 7, 2015
Hardcover, 304 pages



Summary from Goodreads:

Practice Makes Perfect.

Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that career mentoring day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she’d get to shadow *the* Jesse Scott, Nashville’s teen idol.

But spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He’s as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he’s accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya’s lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse’s pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya’s playing back up to other people’s dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart—and go solo?




My Review:

"You know I wish that I had Jesse's GIIIIIIRRRLLL--"

Oh, uh, *AHEM* hello there, fancy meeting you here... Anyway...

The cover of this book is FANTABULOUS, and Jesse likes Keith Urban, which gives it bonus points right away... But those aren't the only reasons why I liked this book.

I 'll tell you right now that throwing together a punk-rock, 80's music singing girl, and a country boy was a fantastic idea... Especially since this girl claims to hate country music.

This book only  took me about 3 hours or so to read, which is fantastic because I've been having a reader's block of sorts, where it takes me forever to finish a book, if I even make it that far

I loved Maya. I really did. I think we could be BFFs. I mean, she loves funnel cakes as much as I do! But seriously, she reminded me of  a combination of Maya from Girl Meets World, Eve Rosser from Morganville, and Abby Sciuto from NCIS. It was fantastic. She was so confident in herself {besides her Gabriella Montez/Ally Dawson stage fright, that she ended up overcoming} and she wore all these crazy cool punk rock outfits, that I don't think I would ever be brave enough to try.

I also LOVED the fact that the chapter titles were song titles {I was proud of myself because I knew almost all of them}

I'm super glad that Maya had such a great relationship with her family. They supported her 100%, and they would do anything to help her out. There was no big family drama going on anywhere, no resentment of siblings, or anything like that, which I thought was pretty cool.

Maya and Jesse had a lot of trust related issues to work through. They were both guilty of blaming and pre-judging each other over something that someone else did, and I understand why they felt the way they did. Once bitten, twice shy and all that, but it still hurt my heart to see them going through that.

I do kind of wish that we had been able to get a glimpse ahead to when Maya is finally allowed to participate in Wannabe Rocker. I mean, all the anticipation leading up to the decision of her holding off for a year, it kills me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home