Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Review: Girls With Sharp Sticks ~ Suzanne Young

My picture. You will eventually be able to see it on my Instagram. Click on the picture to read more about this book on GoodReads

Format I Used: Audiobook
Pages: 416
Running Time: 10h:35m
My Rating: 3 Stars
Publication Date: March 19, 2019

 

I have F E E L I N G S about this book. 

I read this book for the yearly reading challenge that goes on at my work. The prompt was: Read a book that you saw on Tik-Tok. This also was a book that was recommended based on my Myers Briggs Personality Type (INFP-T) and I thought it would be fun, because usually the books recommended to me are Magical Realism books, and I really don't care for Magical Realism books... So yeah. There's that.

Anyway, back on track.

I was SO angry reading this book. Like, basically the whole way through I was one big shaking ball of rage. This is pretty much Stepford Wives, except with teenage girls, and that makes it even worse. The way the girls were all treated and told not to question or upset the men that were "there to take care of them" ooooh boy. That was really triggering for me. I was never rooting so hard for the girls to "wake up" and start learning to fight back and how to take care of themselves, and that the way they're being treated is not right, it's not okay.

I loved the girls and their relationships with each other. I was waiting nervously throughout the whole book for one of them to betray their little group, but they didn't. Even when things were getting extra serious and they weren't exactly sure what was going on, they all had each others backs...  I'm also curious to see what happens with Mena and Jackson, if anything. And what will happen with Quentin. This book was full of twists and turns, and I was never quite sure what was going to happen next, or who we could trust.

Is this book for everyone? No. Absolutely not. It's full of abuse and trigger warnings, so just make sure you do all your research BEFORE giving it a go. Was it worth it for me? Yes. I was enraged for the majority of it, but I also liked seeing the girls wake up and start to fight back. And I think I'm curious enough to read at least book 2 to see what's going to happen to the Academy girls next.

Did It Make Me Cry? No, but it sure did make me angry a time or two.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home