Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Review: Seasparrow ~ Kristin Cashore

Seasparrow by Kristin Cashore

Image from Goodreads. Click on the image to learn more about this book.


Format I Used: Audiobook & E-book
Pages: 624
Running Time: 16h:37m
My Rating: 4 stars
Publication Date: October 27, 2022

 

As usual, random spoilers, some vague some not. Read on at your own risk.

 

So this book... was not my absolute favorite book of Kristin Cashore's... But at the same time, I also didn't hate it. I have very very mixed feelings about it. It felt like it was very anticlimactic. There were so many things that were happening, and it was building to something big, and then it kind of just fizzled out. (for me at least)

It was so hard for me to keep how old Hava was straight in my head. She's 21. She literally says it out loud (or maybe she thinks it when she's talking to Linny, I don't remember for sure) But her actions and thoughts, and the way literally everyone talked to and treated her made it hard to remember. It all made her feel very very young to me, and maybe that's the point? Because of her upbringing?

The thought of Hava and her Grace was so interesting to me. Maybe it's because I feel like a chameleon sometimes, so the fact that Hava can actually turn herself into things that will make her blend into the background and go unnoticed made me feel a kinship towards her. She was set up for failure from the beginning. She was so suspicious of everyone around her and only thought they wanted to use her for something, but that's because that's really all she knew. She never had the chance to make friends and learn about expressing herself, etc. etc. There were times I just wanted to shake her, because she was so focused on herself at times that it was detrimental to everyone including herself!

It was a very slow going book (a molasses kind of read is what I like to call it.) This was very much a character growth kind of story and not much of an action read (like Cashore's others) There's really no big bad guy that we're fighting against, and the biggest issue kind of just fizzled out (with the foxes).

SPEAKING OF THE FOXES THEY WERE ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT THIS BOOK. I was so invested in the safety and adventure of these little precious babies, and when the one died, I literally bawled and raged about it. 

Linny was my other favorite thing about this book. He was so sure and steady the whole way through and he somehow managed to sneak his way into my heart. He's PRECIOUS.

I thought it was funny that the most dangerous thing they encountered was a plain old polar bear. Yeah, the way they described it gave me chills too, but out of all the scary monsters and people with Graces, and plain ol' polar bear was one of the scariest things that appeared.

There was also a lot of crying in this book (almost as much as in Winterkeep)

 I would have sworn that Bitterblue was pregnant (spoiler alert: she wasn't) by how nauseous and whatnot she was for basically the ENTIRE book. But no. She was literally just seasick.

BRO we get to see my favorite Brigan again! He's the best, the bees knees, and no one can tell me otherwise.

Did It Make Me Cry? Yes. The aforementioned foxes caused me to cry QUITE A BIT.

 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home